Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Raccoons - Nocturnal Animals day 2

Day 2 of our Nocturnal animal study is raccoons. My kinder kids always love learning about these animals. They always think they are sooo cute! The one we saw camping last weekend was not what I would call cute - lol !

Raccoon Facts

Raccoons have a black mask across their eyes.
Raccoons are found across southern Canada and most of the United States.
Raccoons are nocturnal.
Raccoons are omnivorous. (They eat plants and animals)
Raccoons have adapted to eat trash and other food available in urban areas (and campgrounds!)
They live alone.
They can reach speeds of 15 miles per hour on the ground.
They are excellent climbers and swimmers.
Raccoons mate between late January and early February.
Raccoons have been known to live a maximum of 16 years in the wild.
A captive raccoon has lived 21 years.
Raccoons live an average of 5 years in the wild.
They are preyed on by coyotes, wolves, hawks and owls.
Raccoons have excellent night vision.

Raccoon Books

The Kissing Hand
A Color Game for Chester Raccoon
A Pocket full of Kisses
A Bedtime Kiss for Chester Raccoon

The Raccoon Book by Katharyn Aal

Raccoon and the Ripe Corn

Raccoon Crafts

Use paper plates to make a raccoon mask

After reading Raccoons and the Ripe Corn  make indian corn pictures using a corn outline and tissue paper

National Geographic website has some cool raccoon trading cards you can print

Print a raccoon coloring sheet and make a book with raccoon facts

I hope that someone is finding these post about nocturnal animals interesting :)  I love sharing things that we use to have time to do at school.  On a homeschooling note we had co-op yesterday so it was a very busy day. I am very blessed to have my mother-in-law home from the mission field this year (they served as missionaries in Romania for 10 years) and available to help with homeschooling. She takes Ashleigh to co-op for me on Tuesdays.  They have co-op from 8:30 - 4:30! After co-op Ashleigh went to the movies with her theater group to see  a Shakesphere play.


Continue to pray for me as a seek a way to stay home next year. I have felt called to be home for the last several years but never as strong as I do now... I'm sure the homeschooling is part of that.  I love teaching but feel I no longer am allowed to teach! I would love to share my teaching ideas with others (and get paid for it would be great!)

Thank you to everyone who has visited my blog! I would love to hear your comments and ideas of things you would like to see. I am also thrilled to see people joining this blog! Thank you for making me smile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment